where the unimaginable becomes impossible
projects & interests
I try to involve myself in various types of project, without trying to over-commit my time. One still has to earn a living, what what.
I strongly believe in student culture (not in the drinking sense!!). Rather, always learning, always trying to expand one's mind and always being prepared to overturn what has just been learnt. Much of my work is software development, so many of my personal projects revolve around that. However, variety is indeed the spice of life, so I try to vary my interests.
I am currently involved with:
- Odiham Jazz Weekend - web development. My company hosts the web site and I contribute development time to it.
- Surrey Linux User Group. Although I am resident in Hampshire, SLUG meets often nearer to where I live than HLUG (Hampshire Linux User Group)
Health and Fitness
- Vegetarianism: Something I never intended or thought I'd like, and something I'm not wholly committed to either. But the health benefits are obvious.
- Swimming: A couple of times each week I try to get in the pool and swim a mile. Great, complete-body exercise.
- Kung Fu: For the mind as well as the body, I recently started learning Kung Fu. An exhausting workout and stretching regime, coupled with a challenging set of co-ordination-based movements such as Wing-Chun kicks and punches.
- Juggling: To assist the left-brain, right-brain connection, juggling is high up there on the list. I juggle for fun and to help my mind think through seemingly difficult challenges.
Reading & Writing
My reading interest is vast and, conversely, is limited by my lack of time for it and slow reading speed. However, instead of listing books I have read, I'll list those subject areas that pique my interest the most:
- Philosophy and Spirituality
- Social science; Economics
- Science Fiction
- Self-Help, therapy, cognitive behaviour, perception & reasonning
- Computer programming, systems and the hacker (NOT cracker) culture
If you have read something that you feel might appeal to me, please drop me a line!
- An open source, web-based content management system. CMSs are ten-a-penny, granted, but there are always niches and needs...
- Project 'W', which is a work-in-progress that cannot be enlarged upon at present.
- Project 'M', which is related in some ways to 'W' and to my business in general.
- Project 'L' is an offshoot of my current activity which is focused in one key area.
get in touch
Do get in touch, if only to say hi. Email me: sd at warpgeek.co.uk